Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Vanilla Syrup& Sugar

Today I made homemade vanilla syrup to go in my coffee or over dessert. I was lucky and got my hands on some inexpensive vanilla beans a few days ago. So tomorrow I will make a jar of vanilla sugar as well.

Here is the recipe I used:

1 1/2 cups tap water
3 cups white sugar
4 vanilla beans, scraped
1 shot brown rum (or spiced)


Mix the vanilla with the rum and add 1 cup sugar. Let sit for about 30 min. Stir. Add the other ingredients and bring to boil. (I am impatient, so I do this on high heat, watching like a hawk.) Constantly stirring till sugar is dissolved. Turn down heat and simmer for 3 min. I poured mine in an empty Asbach bottle that holds 0,7l and it was a perfect fit. (Actually you will get a little extra. Hm, maybe a 1l bottle would be better....) I also included the beans and will let this sit for a while to get a more intense flavor.

This makes deliciously thick and rich syrup. It even works on waffles and pancakes....

ps after a tip from another blogger, I ordered more beans on Ebay. I got lucky, they are good quality and seem fresh.

pps dont worry about the rum. I will boil away but helps the flavor

No comments: