Tuesday, April 10, 2012

After the Challenge

I finished my 30 days. Well, I actually did 40days, since this is the traditional time to fast (some people call it lent, I think).

So, how did it go?
Well, let me tell you, honestly, I got out off it what I wanted. I put more thought into my eating habits in generall aswell as my shopping. I will buy 1 bar of organic, fairtrade dark chocolate than 4 bars of milkchocolate milka bars. And you know what the most surprising fact is? I eat less. Instead of mowing threw said bar of chocolate, I am satisfied with a few pieces.

So, does it save me money?
Honestly, I dont think so. Regular milk is 51cents for 1/4 gallon, soymilk at least 99cents for 1/4 gallon. Organic is twice as expensive as regular, no matter what you buy.
So, do I feel better?
Not to be gross but I feel so much better about my digestion, I can't even tell you. Less bloated and much lighter, even though I did not loose any weight. At least not from the challenge. I did spent have the challenge dealing with a liver infection. Let me tell you, that was not fun at all!

So, did I stick with it?
Once again, I will be honest. No, I slipped every once in a while. Yes, i felt bad about it but I also realized a few important things. I want to do this to enrich my life and make a difference. How can I make a difference, if I am constantly preoccupied and stressed out about every thing I eat. For me personally, it takes the fun out of eating and life is way to short for that. I love to cook and I have to do it on a very, very small budget. So, I cut corners and make exeptions. Every day I try my best and that has to be enough. So, if there is cheese on my pizza or yoghurt sauce on my kebap, I will eat it and I will ENJOY myself.
So, will I stick with it?
Yes, I will make as many changes as I can handle and afford. Yes, I know I can see all of you hard core vegans roll your eyes. Money is more than printed paper and I can't save the planet on a empty stomach, neither can you. I also learned to listen to my body and its needs. After being sick for so long and living off of tea, soup and salt pretzels, I realized that if my body wants an egg I will eat an egg because in the end there is a reason we have cravings.
I will leave you with some words of wisdom, I found very comforting:

If we give our best every day, God will take care of the rest.

No comments: